Bridging the gap between policing and industry
The National Vehicle Crime Intelligence Service (NaVCIS) is a national police unit hosted by Hampshire Constabulary.
NaVCIS operates independently, under the direction of the National Police Chief Councils’ vehicle crime lead ACC Jenny Sims.
We are 100% funded by industry under the provisions of the Police Act 1996. We spend funds specifically on the designated areas and therefore make no profit.
Supporting law enforcement partners
Our mission is to co-ordinate the strategic and frontline response to vehicle finance crime across the UK.
We do this by:
- Investigating reports of vehicle finance crime and providing specialist operational analysis, advice and support to UK police forces.
- Developing strategic intelligence and analysis that supports UK police forces in tackling vehicle finance crime and associated criminality.
- Developing and promoting crime prevention tactics and advice for the finance industry and wider communities.
As well as vehicle finance crime, we support the police service in its response to other elements of vehicle crime including:
- Tracking technology, providing a link into tracking companies to develop better ways to recover stolen vehicles.
- Specialist ports capability, providing recovery, enforcement and intelligence support.
- Training, guidance and advice in specialist vehicle crime areas such as the caravan, motorhome and mobile homes, plus freight and agricultural sectors.
Our team is made up of a mix of police officers and police staff, who have a vast range of experience across the policing sector.
A number of officers are currently seconded from Cheshire Police, Hampshire Constabulary, Nottinghamshire Police, Thames Valley Police, Warwickshire Police, West Midlands Police, and Port of Tilbury Police.
Our office is based in Ryton, but we work throughout the UK and have officers based at Southampton, Tilbury and Felixstowe ports.
We are recognised by the Home Office, National Crime Agency and UK law enforcement.
There are six teams within NaVCIS:
The NaVCIS Governance Board is chaired by Assistant Chief Constable Jenny Sims of Cheshire Police, who is the national lead for vehicle crime.
Current members of the Governance Board: